Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"All the missionaries are safe.."

Wow, so im sure you all heard about the earthquake. At 3 a.m. I woke up to my window shaking like crazy and the house started to move and we heard things breaking in the kitchen. JUST LIKE THE MOVIES...but way worse I have to say. My bed slid and I jumped to my companions bed we held each other and just prayed. We felt helpless...but someHOW we felt at peace. From then on people from the church were checking everyones houses in the city. Our church leaders wouldnt let us leave the house until all the roads were somewhat safe. THAT sure will be a memory I NEVER forget! Um im okay though! I love this church. We have food storage beyond belief...to last for weeks. Other cities...well they are not doing so well..but thats what were here for to help! I am doing fine! We have been keeping smiles on our face and IM sure the news is showing yall the worse. I got to talk to my parents which made it hard because I know they were so worried about me.

Some areas are horrible and Iv seen and heard some things I never thought I would in my life...but there is a peace that has come over us missionaries. We are here to help. We opened up the church since the day this has happened and have been cooking and feeding people who are sleeping at the church. We have water and electricity and PLENTY of food. ARE YOU KIDDING!? dO YOU THINK THESE CHILEANS COULD GO WITHOUT FOOD?! Were working on helping out the cities along the coast... its very bad there. Some of them that made it out ...are staying at the church. Some of them Lost everything. EVERYTHING.

I sure have become closer to my Heavenly Father. And I know that I am supposed to be here for a reason. I can still barely communicate with these people but I can hug them and help relax them with a smile. I think things in the city where I am in should go back to normal pretty soon... Just a lot of buildings are down. We moved into a different house yesterday...much more secure. The military took over for a while because people were stealing EVEN KIDS!! Im sure you have seen it all on the news..but things are okay here. We are feeling a little bit of the aftershocks here and there but its kinda become normal. ALL THE MISSIONARIES ARE SAFE. My 2 old companions were in contitution (which is one of the reallly bad areas) I am just so happy to hear they are okay. Im not sure whats going to happen with our mission...we might have some changes. I sure will have some stories when I get back. I wrote alot of them in my journal...but dont have time to write them all out in detail.

Just please know that I am safe! we have the most amazing people watching out for us! Please pray for the many people who lost their families. Several of them I know...
I love you all! I will write probably next monday! And dont watch the news!! Its too scary!!

LOVE HERMANA PAIGE CONLEY

2 comments:

  1. What joy it brings me to hear that she is safe! If possible, please tell Paige that my daughter, Sasha Zimmerman-Lopez, who is serving in the Buenos Aires West Mission sends her love and prayers! Thanks for maintaining this blog!

    ReplyDelete